Friday, April 13, 2012

The Latest Movies - A Month Late

As my last days of two weeks off dwindle away, Mrs. Graybeard and I went to see John Carter, the Disney version of Edgar Rice Burroughs' classic John Carter of Mars. 

Not having read the books, it was just a fun romp for me.  I did some reading about the story before going and it has some quite interesting ideas for its time - the novel appeared in 1912.  Shape shifters?  Teleportation?  And yet, Burroughs is probably best known for Tarzan.   
Lynn Collins as Dejah Thoris and Taylor Kitsch as John Carter.  Photo source

At this rate, I have another month until I go see the Hunger Games... 

2 comments:

  1. Did you know that in ER Burroughs' version, Deja Thoris was an egg-layer? I believe she was an oviparous mammal in his story (platypus?) I don't recall if she had a pouch or not ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that!

    It's available from Project Gutenberg as a free e-book in a variety of formats. Just downloaded the freebie version for my Kindle, to add to my reading stack.

    ReplyDelete