Saturday, November 30, 2013

Playing Supid Games - Ammoman Edition

Someone, somewhere, must have gotten some stuff on the Ammoman "Ammo by the pound sale" fiasco early Friday morning.  Not me.  Must have been someone very close, or with a fiber optic link or something.  Borrowing some comments from Kevin:
UPDATE:  12:00AM EST and the Ammoman.com website was obviously made by the same people who did Healthcare.gov!  Somehow I don't think I'm going to get to order any 9mm tonight.

UPDATE: 12:22AM EST Aaaand it's gone!
I started to reload the pages right at midnight and got either "Service not available" or "404".  The server was crashing.  After trying to get to a few pages over and over and over and over and over ... suddenly all of what I wanted was in my cart.  By the time I could get the check out page to load it all showed up as out of stock.   I know that technically speaking they can't know if someone that has it in their cart is going to buy it, but they can know it's in someone's cart - notice how the fed.gov can tell you how many health plans people have in their carts but haven't paid for them?  Once it's in your cart, you should be able to pay for it.  This is like someone in the store taking things out of your cart and walking off with them.

While I think the website was set up poorly, and they probably had a much higher response than they thought, I don't mind saying playing the stupid game was my decision.
(picture of sorted ammo from Ammoman's website - it's the only thing I got from them)


8 comments:

  1. Yep. I got burned same way. Site down right at 1200, back up at 1221 with everything gone, including a box of 9mm that I did manage to get into my cart for about a second and a half.

    Not happy, here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got shipping confirmation on the 7.62x39, after a lot of 404's and white screens.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Figured somebody must have gotten some. Congrats!

      Delete
  3. Jesus, ya bunch of big babies.

    A small company publicized their sale well and got their server crushed by the response. Whoopy-do! It's not like you spent your tax dollars on it.

    I stayed up and had the same problem you did, but I didn't get my panties in a twist. I got a chuckle, was happy to see Eric get a good response for his marketing efforts (I'm all capitalist like that) and went to bed.

    So I didn't get any ammo. Big deal. I've still got some left over.

    Hey, I know! Let's write some "Anti-Gouging" posts now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even remotely what I was trying to say.

      I will work on better writing skills.

      Delete
  4. Not blaming Ammoman at all. Just drat my luck.

    ReplyDelete