Sunday, May 24, 2015

Did I Mention I Like Clever Ideas?

While talking about the Stealth Arms 1911 jig, I mentioned I'm a big fan of clever, and switching from metalworking to woodworking, we find a piece of (Patent applied for) clever that makes creating drawers a one step operation.

The invention is a specially shaped cutter that enables you to make four cuts in a piece of plywood, fold it up, glue it up, clamp it up, and voila: you have a drawer.  Looking a little closer, it requires a table saw with a dado blade set and this new blade. 

H/T to IMAO, of all places.  I shouldn't say that.  Frank usually gets some cool videos over there.

And by the way, if you didn't read the comments on that post about the Phantom Jig, YouTube user MosinVirus posts results of running the Phantom Jig on a steel 1911 rather than aluminum.  While it took some additional hand work, the result was a fully functional 1911. 



2 comments:

  1. That is pretty cool. I hope he makes a million on his idea.
    It has a similarity to a Northwest Indian cedar bentwood box/chest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting topic you bring up. Did a little searching around and the similarity is pretty clear.

    I also think I've seen something like his profile in a cabinetmaking book, but it involved several operations with different tools.

    ReplyDelete