Sunday, September 13, 2015

30% Of Millennials Would Sell An Organ To Erase Student Loans

According to the website InvestmentWatch, 30% of Millennials said they'd sell an organ to pay off their student loans.  They link to a survey at MyBankTracker, saying that's not the most questionable part of it.
...38 percent would agree to take part in a questionable medical study. These are two of the findings released by the website MyBankTracker which surveyed 200 of its readers this past summer to determine how far they would go to erase their school-related debt. In terms of other extreme measures, 55 percent would turn their lives into a reality show. However, the participants had their limits, as only 43 percent would be willing to sell half their belongings. And sixty-eight percent would reportedly refuse to join active duty in the military.
30% would be willing to sell a kidney, while 43% would be willing to sell half their belongings?  "You can take part of my liver, but you can't take my smartphone"?  The last line, 68% would refuse to join active duty military, is probably selection bias.  Anyone who would accept going into active military duty to get educational benefits probably isn't part of this population, because they did it already. 

The kicker is that of the population they surveyed the median age of the respondents was 32, and their student loan debt averaged about $34,500 per person.  According to the Project on Student Debt, this is well over the $28,400 national average for student loan debt.  We've all heard stories about students ending up over $100,000 in debt; these are probably the expensive, private schools, and an outlier number.
Maybe, on second thought, don't buy the liver.    



3 comments:

  1. Since I'm 72 I have a very high level of respect for good health and taking care of myself so I would definitely not sell any body parts to pay off debts. I do find it ironic that so any would choose to not go in the military to pay off their education debts. I attended college while in the military and got my BS before I retired. The military paid the tuition I paid for books and other costs. I got my MBA after leaving the military and the VA paid for tuition and I paid for books and other costs. I enjoyed my time in the military, met a lot of good people and enjoyed a few good assignments. I would do it all again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a military brat, born in Houston when my father, career Air Army Air Force then Air Force, was stationed there. I served in the Navy, and enjoyed what I did. My understanding of conditions now is that you probably would detest serving in the military. Not just the acceptance of sexual behavior - male and female - that is significantly different from how we were raised (I'm 64), but the poor treatment of Christians and Christian/Jewish chaplains vs the special treatment of muslims, Wiccans, etc., forcing soldiers to march in public in red high-heeled shoes to "honor" the feminists, and the ROE that allows our military to take fire without returning it, and allows terrorists to escape after an attack because permission to engage has to go through several layers of brass along with military legal staff.

    Enjoy your memories of service in the U.S. military that you have. Even during 'Nam things weren't as FUBARed as they are now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am certainly aware of the disturbing news and stories we hear about the military. But what I remember is not that the military was free of any problems but rather that so many people were believers in what they were doing, loved their country and wanted to do a good job. Good people who believed they were making our country and the world a safer place. I would have expected the stereotype of hard nosed not particularly smart NCOs trying to make life miserable for the new recruits but what Ifound instead was good people who offerred good advice and leadership and helped the new recruits succeed. While I do agree the leadership seems to be foisting their agenda on the military my hope is that with the 2016 elections that will be reversed. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete