Sunday, April 24, 2022

Odds and Ends

I've basically got nothing.  So some odds and ends and mind wanderings.

Last Thanksgiving, at our annual get together at my brother's house in south Florida, conversation wandered onto artificial sweeteners and how the one that bro' had was labelled, "plant based".  From there it went on to how so many foods now make a big deal about saying they're "plant based."  After all, if you go far enough back, everything is solar energy based.  Plants are solar energy based.  The animals who eat them are plant based.  It's completely valid to call your rib-eye steak plant based because the cattle eat plants and turn it into beef.  

Reining in the story a bit, I joked, "has anyone ever seen an animal-based sweetener?"  Hah hah, right?  My sister-in-law's cousin (who must be some unnamed relative of mine) said, "beaver anal glands."  That shut me up right away.  I think I might have blinked erratically.

I did some research.  She was kind of right, close to right, but not a sweetener.  It's an FDA approved replacement for vanilla flavoring

I wonder how they would have known what vanilla beans tasted or smelled like.  I don't think vanilla beans and beavers grow in the same areas.

Speaking of plant based food, I saw this one, but I bet I didn't think what you did. 

I was surprised that not only did that almond have an udder, but that it had apparently mastered antigravity and levitation.  It's just floating there in the air.  Clearly a previously overlooked terrestrial intelligence to come up with antigravity.

That aside, this is probably the definitive almond milk video

 


9 comments:

  1. They call it 'almond milk' because nobody can routinely call it by it's more accurate name without laughing.....'nut juice'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I could have gone a longer time without that particular bit of information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pretty near had a coffee contaminated keyboard to deal with during the video.
    I suggest that Milk of Magnesia, and "milking a job" are both common English language points and they show that Nut Milk isn't exactly wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to get your sister-in-law's cousin working on anti gravity, faster than light travel, curing cancer etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The idea of flipping a beaver over and deciding to lick its anal glands is... I need a stronger drink.
    Tangent: the artificial sweetener Sweet 'n Low is the result of a failed attempt to make a new rat poison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once heard that the hungriest man in history was the guy who ate the first raw oyster. Since I like raw oysters but they aren't very appetizing looking, I always thought of that.

      We have a new champion. The hungriest man in history was the guy that turned over that beaver and tried that.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete