Friday, November 24, 2023

I've got a lotta catching up to do

He's got at least a 15 year head start on me.  

Mick, has the head start, that is, not the turtle.  Mick, you know, gets paid to look good.  Work out, body training, voice training, you name it.  Mitch only gets paid to hand over our tax money to the Powers That Be.  Big difference. 

Spent pretty much the entire day to get our source of Thanksgiving leftovers ready for the week. 

Basically, it's the same as I've done before.  I smoked a turkey using a method I found on Serious Eats; a combination of spatchcocking the turkey together with a dry brine and then smoking in my Weber kettle grill.  Except this time, with being away for almost 12 hours yesterday, I didn't do the dry brine because the Serious Eats recipe recommends a minimum of "overnight" with the salt mixture on the skin, and says two days is better.  I just rubbed the turkey with olive oil and then put on a little seasoning.  



6 comments:

  1. Well, okay, but how did it taste?

    Inquiring idiots want to know, because I have a Traeger that I smoke and cook our turkey and it's to die for! ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were only three of us and no complaints at all. Doing the indirect heat smoking in the Weber does a good job at what it’s supposed to. The turkey breast comes out moist with a great texture, while the legs and thighs cook hotter but can stand it better. I think your Traeger will do a better job of keeping the temperature in the right range, if I understand them. I always spend the day bouncing between too hot and not hot enough.

      Delete
  2. It's even better if you rub the salt under the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smoked a 1/2 turkey with cherry & oven baked 1/2 in case the kids didn't like smoked turkey. Ain't no smoked turkey left, they ate it all. Now they're won't be any smoked turkey pot pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordinarily use a mix of hickory and either apple or another milder wood. Those are wood chips in my electric smoker while in this approach, I need bigger chunks.

      Delete