Sunday, June 16, 2024

In Honor of Father's Day

And prove positive (yet again!) that I often don't think that when I'm putting a piece together on Saturday night the next day is a Named Day. 


Just a couple of father's day facts.  Every time I've seen stats on this, as far back as I can recall, they say Mother's Day is the busiest phone day of the year:

"Each Mother’s Day, there are about 122 million phone calls made, according to Florida Blue, an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association."
Likewise, every time I've looked, Father's Day has the most collect calls of the year:
The tradition of making collect calls on Father’s Day can be attributed to the desire to connect with loved ones despite the distance. People often make these calls when they are unable to travel to be with their fathers, whether due to work commitments, financial limitations, or geographical barriers. By reaching out in this manner, individuals can bridge the physical gap and convey their affection and appreciation.

So my message is simple: I hope you enjoyed your day.  Whether you had a barbecue or not; did some shooting or fishing or not. Or Absolutely Nothing. 

There's an old joke that goes something like "act my age? I've never been this age, how am I supposed to know how to act?" I have a similar issue with Father's day. I'm a grandfather, so do I call my son to wish him a Happy Father's Day, or does he call me?

And if your kids still make collect calls, I hope you paid for the call. 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Uhhh, I don't think there is such a thing as a "collect call" anymore, SiG...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either, but I went looking for something current, and that's a 2024 article. There are still landlines and people that use them instead of wireless phones, so why not? I can see it still being available.

      Delete
  2. My son had jolly darn well call ME, the ingrate!
    (He did...)

    ReplyDelete