I was wandering around YouTube looking at space-related news topics and saw a few things here and there, but that's not what this is really about. What it's about is what the coverage says and the strange questions I saw.
Today, Rocket Lab launched a Japanese Earth Observing Satellite using their Electron rocket. Electron is small payload class vehicle, meaning more lightweight than just physically small satellite, but those kinda go together. In the description of that article, it said,
An Electron rocket carrying a synthetic aperture radar (SAR) spacecraft for the Tokyo-based company Synspective lifted off from Rocket Lab's New Zealand site tonight at 11:22 p.m. EDT (Sept. 18) (0322 GMT and 3:22 p.m. local time on Sept. 19).
There's a good quality video of the launch from Rocket Lab, if you want to see it.
I remembered that Rocket Lab had launched other SAR spacecraft that I'm pretty sure were Japanese but not 100% sure it was this customer (Synspective) - although it's kind of specialized stuff and might well be.
I used to design radars among other things, and when I thought of the questions being asked, my reaction was, "should I devote some time to things like the basics of what Synthetic Aperture Radars are and how they work?" Comments?
Hey, it's better than "don't forget that today is Talk Like a Pirate Day! It's called an S A Rrrrrr."
A Rocket Lab Electron rocket launches a Strix Earth-observing radar satellite for the Japanese company Synspective on Sept. 18, 2026. (Image credit: Rocket Lab)
For reasons unknown to us Rocket Lab tends to give Synspective launches owl-themed names. This mission was called "Owl by the Dozen."

From the New Mexico Museum of Space History tonight, several people were able to see the SpaceX launch at Vandenberg very low to the horizon.
ReplyDelete