Monday, May 27, 2024

Same Old, Same Old

Holiday aside, it's a typical last week of May. It has been pretty much fully summer for a week or two, although our pattern of afternoon thunderstorms much of the week hasn't developed yet. A couple of days ago, the National Weather Service forecast site for central Florida posted warnings of heat indices to around 105 or more but it didn't seem to materialize. This afternoon, the nearby Melbourne airport said it was 93 with a "feels like" temperature of 102. I tend to dismiss those, thinking that's what 93 feels like here, but those warnings seem most appropriate for people visiting or spending their first summer here. 

Gee summer already? Only four months left to late September.

The same day as the heat warnings, the Weather Underground posted this UV warning. I want to direct your attention to the text at the bottom. I didn't select the skin type, that's the way it was displayed by default so I didn't think to see if it said something different for other colors.

This is the UV warning I generally refer to as "Fatal within 15 minutes" but it really says 18 minutes. No more than 8 to 18 minutes exposure to the sun? Is that total sun for a full day or 8 -18 minutes at a time? Doesn't seem like it could be the second one because then they should instruct us about how many 18 minute exposures we can get and how long we need to hide inside between them.

A regular part of my life since about the time I turned 17 has been inhalant allergies. I was in high school and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing my parents' doctor in the fall of my senior year.  He prescribed an antihistamine called Teldrin, which was good for 12 hours and helped me through the allergies, which tended to be all day things when the grass fields by our house or everglades were burning. By the time I was in my mid-20s and working for a living, I decided to see an allergist. 

If you've never gone through this exorbitant ritual, the "gold standard" treatment is they first find out what you're allergic to, and then desensitize you to it with a series of injections. The test is done by injecting a tiny amount of the allergen under your skin and judging your degree of sensitivity by how big of a welt you get. 

I'll never forget this. I was tested for 60 different allergens - 60 different pin prick shots - and I was allergic to all 60. On a scale of 1 to 4 ++, I only scored less less than 3 on two things: newsprint and "common skin bacteria." My usual summary is "I'm allergic to everything that is now, or once was, alive."

I'll cut the story short and not give thousands of details, but in the 53 years since I first saw that doctor when I was 17, I've had four allergists, had the 60 (or 120) injections test done at each of those doctors, had a nose surgery that one quack, um, doctor swore by and did nothing I could tell, I've been put on the latest, most modern, "non-drowsy" antihistamines that last 24 hours, more eye drops for (maddeningly itchy eyes), glucocorticoid nose sprays and every modern alternative.  

53 years later, I still get maddeningly itchy eyes, runny nose, sneezing and everything else. I've switched from prescription antihistamines - that have gone to being nonprescription - to an old four hour OTC drug called chlorpheniramine maleate, which happens to be the exact same drug as the Teldrin I was taking 53 years ago; it's just that Teldrin was designed to be slow release so it lasted 12 hours. Do I have allergy problems less often? I don't know how to know that. In the last week, I've taken the antihistamine tablets a few times, not continually, but I live in a different part of the state and I'm sure there are different plants and allergens here. 53 years of the state of the art care and taking exactly what I took at the start. The only progress is that it doesn't require a prescription and is a penny or two per pill.



14 comments:

  1. Good luck with the allergies....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I have horrible allergies. So bad that for 2 weeks in the Spring and 2 weeks in the Fall I would be housebound while drowning in my own snot. First time I got test shots my arms were locked up for 3 days and the allergy doc had to get very diluted versions for me. Allergic to the color... Green. Especially anything with waxy leaves. And mold. And mildew. You know, everything found in Florida. So allergy shots, which did help, but...

    I use benadryl, zyrtec, pataday eye drops and flonase. At least they don't screw up my heart rate like sudafed and pyrabenzamine (now illegal) used to do. Nor do they give me evil bloody nightmares like actifed did, seriously trippy bloody nightmares.

    It's Florida. What helped me was moving above the I-4 Corridor. Every time I descend below the I-4, I turn into a snot factory.

    Sigh. Still better than living someplace that gets ice storms and blizzards on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " benadryl, zyrtec, pataday, flonase... sudafed " Been there, used all of them. Currently have a two-pack of pataday, midway through the first bottle. I switched from Flonase to Nasacort but I'm swearing it off.

      The problem with sudafed and most of antihistamines, including the chlorpheneramine I use, is that for many guys they contribute to the condition I call PSN - Prostate the Size of Nebraska. It's usually fatal once it gets much beyond PSR, for the size of Rhode Island.

      Delete
    2. Back when I was a kid, the 'recipe' I was on was 4 sudafed and 2 pyrabenzamine every 4 hours on bad days. I am really lucky I didn't blow my heart out.

      PSN? Eh, not a problem, yet.

      Delete
  3. hate to say this, but I'm one of those people who's not even allergic to poison ivy though I do have rachmones on all allergy sufferers everywhere; it can be so debilitating and the meds'll put you to sleep faster than an anesthesiologist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, sir,... suck. I get within 5 feet of PI or PO and I can start breaking out. I react to plants that others eat. Sigh.

      Delete
  4. SiG, you and I are frighteningly identical. I have allergies to grass, mold, pollen, animals, and food allergies to beans and some nuts now that have manifested lately - on top of that, I am adjusting to moving to a 4000' elevation when I lived at 2000' for decades and decades. A slight high-altitude sickness that has brought me bronchitis and re-triggered my childhood asthma that I had outgrown.
    Old age is not for sissies.
    Yeah, the chemicals have gpotten better but some of the old-timey OTCs still work, and work well. Since I discovered Loratidine my severe rhinitis is controllable now....
    "If it's alive or sheds, I'm allergic to it..."
    .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Florida was not meant for Man. Everything there, and I do mean everything, wants to kill you, or at least make you miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have Florida mixed up with Australia...

      Delete
    2. I think he's right, Igor. I've seen Florida called The Australia of the North and it's close. It's hard to say which is more important, air conditioning or pest control, but a technological civilization can't survive here without both of them.

      Delete
  6. Amen on chlorphenamine maleate! I wouldn't claim to be quite in your league, but I think I'm close. When I had the allergy tests done with the pinpricks up and down both arms, the welts for pollen and mold were each so big that they covered the tests next to them (which had to be redone, natch), and I passed out, which was embarrassing as a teenaged boy.

    The 12-hour Chlortrimeton (which sounds like it was the same as Teldrin) was my go-to for a long time. I can't find the 12-hour anymore in person, so I have to buy the 4-hour version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good old Chlortrimeton. It works and works well. Especially for an old OTC pharmaceutical. Sadly it's no longer a couple of cents per per pill. Price is approaching a nickel a pill these days. FJB for that. And since it works and is
    inexpensive expect the FDA to manufacture a reason to ban it. Can't have effective and affordable medications. That would cut it to the wealth of the 1%.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the itchy eyelids, I have tried petroleum jelly as a barrier. That seemed to help, but I never came up with a solution to my eyelashes transferring it to the inside of my glasses. I switched to Xyzal when Claritin stopped working. Haven't had real issues with the eyes since then, and haven't been using the petroleum jelly either. My allergies seem milder these days anyway, for some reason.
    Jim_R

    ReplyDelete