Saturday, July 13, 2024

Yeah, Ham Radio has Some Psychopaths/Sociopaths, Too

Like any other activity or grouping of people bigger than a small room size, there are psychopaths or sociopaths (or both) in ham radio. Unlike some of the groups demanding to be recognized as special, we tend to ignore ours and not give them the attention they're demanding, but I've never heard of anyone trying to track them down and run them out of the hobby or some other sort of punishment. 

It turns out that 10 days ago, last Wednesday evening, July 3rd, I was witness to one. I thought it might be a little interesting for some of you who have never heard of this. 

Let me start by saying I don't know which characterization fits the people who do this: psycho- or socio-. I've come across them in my nearly half century as a ham, and have heard some types of bad behavior thousands of times. The type of behavior I ran across 10 days ago is known by two common names: the most common is "pirate" and I think I've heard the term "slim" used for them. 

The most common time or place to find them is when a group goes to some remote or unoccupied place that's recognized as a ham radio country but essentially has no resident population of hams (or no residents at all!) Someone for reasons I don't have much understanding of pretends that they're the station the big crowd is calling and starts making contacts using their call sign. The person pretending to be the remote station gets no reward; nobody is going to send them money or anything like that. The only thing they get (as I see it) is some satisfaction in ruining someone else's happiness with having made the contact with the rare station; or ruining someone else's enjoyment of the hobby.

Perhaps a real example that happened to me in the last few years might explain it better? A small expedition was made to the Crozet Islands a sub-antarctic group of islands off the SE coast of Africa and a French possession. For various reasons related to radio propagation, my best chance of contacting the station (FT8WW) was in our local evenings on the small 10.1 MHz allocation we have.  One night, after calling the station quite a while, I managed to "work" them. Because they were near a place where they could get internet connectivity, I could check their logs. A couple of days later, the log didn't show my call. I clearly contacted someone else, but who was it? A pirate. Someone who got on the same band at the same times but was only pretending to be who I was trying to contact. 

So I went back to work and contacted them in another day or two, and verified I was in their log.

Doing this is illegal here in the US and could get your licenses suspended (assuming they have a license in the first place). I would be surprised if any country that licensed amateur radio didn't punish this. 

The one that happened July 3rd was a bit more surprising in some ways. On an otherwise quiet evening on the VHF band I'm working on the most lately (6m), a friend here in town worked Alaska.  Like most evenings, my station was on and I was out of the room when it happened. This is a plot like ones I've shown before, of every station my station copied. It's a dramatic example of "one of these things is not like the others." The locations plotted are from what the stations are transmitting. In this computer-mode, the standard calling messages are your call sign and four character grid square.

Now it's not breaking any laws of physics to contact Alaska from Florida, and ISTRC having spoken with guys who have done it. It's just exceptionally unusual. More like once or twice in a lifetime than once a year. Does that prove that the station shown in Alaska wasn't really there? Not at all, I just expect the rest of the plot to be different. That sorta fan-shaped group of contacts on the right very much looks like any old day. For the propagation to be "once in a lifetime", I'd expect those trails to be covering much more of the USA and into more of western Canada. The way this looks is a bit ... funny. A bit suspicious.

I happen to know that this friend and I both have every other state confirmed in the US except Alaska. We just tend to work at it differently. In my early days of ham radio, I learned the lesson to listen much more than you talk. My friend is more inclined to call "CQ Alaska" (calling anyone in Alaska) for long periods while I rarely do that. Actually I don't think I've ever done that.

The day after this (it was evening, local time, right around 8:30 PM EDT, or 0030UTC), the guy from Alaska whose call sign was used (and his grid square used to pinpoint his location on plots like this) said, "sorry not me; I wasn't home when this was reported and I wasn't on." Another pirate.

Finding out who did something like that is probably unrealistic. I can think of ways to do it but they'd all be beyond the budget of a single ham or small-sized club. It would be the exclusive domain of those with "more money than sense." Which is probably why pirates still exist.



5 comments:

  1. I've heard of it happening and I've seen it reported elsewhere, but it's never happened to me. Having lived in the Radio Cesspool that SoCal is, I've heard plenty of poor and/or illegal activity, and there was a local ham who was busted and did some time behind bars. Don't know why they do it, but they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so there's male-reproductive-members even in the HAM community. Some people have to lie and cheat to make themselves feel big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't get it either. But some people just have to be dicks, I guess. Have an issue right now where a group of - we think - landscape workers are operating simplex on a repeater output frequency. Difficult to track down, because they're mobile and keep their transmissions short. Also, they don't speak English.

    I know of cases where bad operators have been tracked down. There's that killowatt station in Canada - is that still going on? A friend of mine likes to tell the story of how he and a few others tracked down a couple stations in SoCal years ago.

    Yet another example of the tragedy of the commons. Too bad there's not an easy way to wield the clue bat remotely.
    - jed

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to know what goes on in the brain of someone like that, but the first place I ever noticed it was people who would jam a pileup. Some DX station would be on a frequency, saying frequently "listening up 5 to 10 kHz" (or 500 Hz on CW) and people would tune up on his transmit frequency or just transmit random stuff there. It seemed to be, "if I can't work him, nobody gets to!" but I don't know. Then there are the people who meet every night or week or whatever on some frequency and How Dare anyone else use their frequency!

    With the lawn service guys using HTs unlicensed, 2m is a good place because direction finding antennas and hunting down transmitters is a popular hobby by itself. I've got a friend in NC whose club does "find the hidden transmitter" events like that regularly. I've seen references to using two rubber ducky antennas, Double Ducky Direction Finders or DDDF separated by something like 1/4 wave. Never built or used one but someone may chime in about those. It's just easier when a quarter wave is 19" like on 2m instead of 23 feet like on 10 MHz. Much easier to carry around and point in different directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the fox hunt thing - have both 2M and 70CM yagis for that, plus an offset attentuator from 3rd Planet Solar. Things is, I'm at work when it's happening. And, my car is a POS.

      > Then there are the people who meet every night or week or whatever on some frequency and How Dare anyone else use their frequency!

      Like the Maritime Net? I've heard mixed reports on how "friendly" they are, and heard some of their "official" traffic. Yeah, maritime.

      73,
      - jed

      Delete