Sunday, July 14, 2024

On The Attempted Assassination of President Trump

The news was breaking around the time I sat down to work on yesterday's post and my first reaction was that first reports are always wrong and so it didn't make much sense to write a long post on it. Combined with my second reaction, which is what do I have to say that's more authoritative and a better reference than the dozens of posts that are out there already. 

That's still the case. 

I have the same concerns everyone talks about. How did this clown get to climb on a building that close to the president without being shot first? Why wasn't the building sealed off with guards on the roof or monitoring it such that as soon as a person with rifle was noted on the building, his head would have left his body right then and there - unlike after he shot Trump as happened. 

Like many of those who wrote about this, in this case Bayou Renaissance Man, I think that the FBI isn't to be trusted running an investigation of this. Peter Grant (BRM) also ran this:

Then there's this allegation.  It may be a complete fabrication - we don't know yet, and I've seen nothing to confirm it - but I'd love to know whether the shooter was observed by President Trump's security detail before he pulled the trigger, and if so, why none of them stopped him before he could do so.  Was permission to shoot denied?  If so, by whom?  And why?  And who told the leader(s) of his security team what to do under such circumstances?

Then there's this that I've seen several places - but I grabbed this copy from Daily Timewaster:

While I don't know Dan Bongino any more or less than any of these people, I've sure heard more sense out of him in the last few years than anybody working in the DOJ, or any of the law enforcement agencies. I'm with Bongino and Elon Musk, the head of the secret service needs to be unemployed, especially if the stories of the SS being all wrapped up in DEI are real. 

The real questions, of course, center on "what's next?" There's a famous meme of the right wing attitude to violence as a switch, that's either do nothing or kill everything. Has that switch been thrown? I suppose we shall see.

A distant second, third or 90th place to these goings on is that since Wednesday (the 10th) I've had a nasty cold. Lost my voice from all the coughing and sore throat. For most of the day, I thought I was getting over it, but as evening arrived, it started back up with a vengeance. I'll do my best to stay in the chair and blogging, but the old saying about colds is true. If you take all the magical vitamins and potions different people push, you'll get over it in a week. If you just fight it off with something like ibuprofen and Mucinex, you'll have it a whole seven days.



18 comments:

  1. I am with you on the position of "I don't have access to facts, first hand knowledge, so I will keep my opinions to myself" Too much has been said based on too few facts. What has been obvious from the very beginning is there was gross incompetence on someones part. I am not going to point fingers at the SS team on the ground. Once again facts are lacking.
    Ole Grump

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I started listening to my wife-(amazing, huh?) my sore throat and cough with colds has been greatly reduced. She recommended echineaca/goldenseal as a way to dry up the sinuses and reduce post nasal drip, thereby reducing the inflammation of the throat. It has worked well, in most cases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's on 4chan, so 90%+ chance it's a larp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 72-hour rule applies here, SiG.
    Some things we definitely know, though.
    1) 20-year old Snotflake, "registered" as a Republican but his acts are totally as a flaming libtard - more to come on this.
    2) SOMEbody screwed the pooch bigly by not having somebody from the Detail on that roof.
    3) The Hand of God was upon Donald John Trump yesterday.
    4) SS was directed to INCREASE coverage of Jilly-willy to the detriment of those assigned to Trump.
    5) Uncle Chucky wanted to introduce a bill removing ALL Protection Detail
    coverage from Trump.
    6) People were trying to get the attention of the Local Constabulary for a good five minutes, they (local cops) just ran around like chickens with their heads cut off.

    I suspect conspiracy at a bare minimum! We Conspiracy Theorists have as good a track record as SpaceX...

    All for now. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen (or gone looking for) exactly what DJT's injury was, but I have a suspicion he had his ear pierced. Up in the cartilage around the top of his ear. We routinely see (typically, young) women with some sort of stud up there.

      If it was my ear, I'd have the hole maintained for bragging rights. Maybe put an ear stud in there made from a 5.56 round, only gold.

      Delete
  5. The REAL question is who FUNDED him?
    Soros?
    Or Zuckerberg?

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a push this year for Pennsylvanians to register as Republicans to keep Trump off the ballot this year. Thousands did. I believe the perps donations to left wing groups are a better indication of his politics. If he had been successful I also believe that his Jewish heritage would have been used to further denigrate Israel..
    Furthermore his use of a Demolition Ranch shirt might have been camoflauge, They are an apolitical firearms channel, but they ARE affiliated with Brandon Herrera, who just missed being elected to Congress this cycle..............Johnny Gee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not impressed with Jonathan Willis.
    I thought the Nuremberg defense or "I was just following orders" had become a bad joke.
    Jonathan Willis was "just following orders". And if he hadn't: if he had taken the shot when he thought he should have?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly, it is (from several sources) the current SS policy to not shoot a threat until the threat shoots at the principal. This is a ludicrous policy. I do believe SiG is correct when he says that Mr. Willis would have been charged with murder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sooner be damned for the sin of commission.
      I keep thinking of Dante/(Pournelle and Niven); in just which ditch would I prefer to spend the rest of eternity?

      Delete
    2. The difference is that you have good character and positive morals. I've come to expect none from Feds. I know there are exceptions to that, but not how many.

      Delete
  9. Wishing SiliconGraybeard a fast and full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW:
    My 5-y-o perfectly healthy grandson comes over for a visit and 48 hrs later I'm down with a URI; not to say he's a carrier or anything; the OL says it's a perfectly normal (for neurotics) response.
    I take hot showers bid to keep my sinuses open (and flowing): it works within three days, but my electric bill goes sky-high: at least I smell good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of my allergy history (allergic to everything that is now or ever was alive), I'm a full supporter of the Nasal Industrial Complex. In particular nasal irrigation like these guys. With the cold, I'm doing twice a day instead of once in the morning. I'd give more details, but I'd probably violate some rule about providing medical advice without a license.

      Delete
  11. A cold lasts 14 days with treatment, or two weeks without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, thanks. I thought seven days was bad enough.

      Delete
  12. Summer colds are the worst! It's too hot for chicken soup and hot toddies!
    And I'm with you on the allergies. The only thing that works, and works really well, is Claratin D.

    ReplyDelete