Saturday, May 21, 2016

No Way

So imagine this:  here I am, about 850 miles from home at the now-ending Dayton Hamvention.  I hadn't really told any friends we were coming up.

Within the first hour we ran into a couple that we're long time friends with, who live within a half hour of our place.   We had been joking about seeing them because we always run into them at hamfests and gun shows, then there they were.  A few hours after that, we ran into my really long time friend, N4RFC (linked in the right bar).  Today, I ran into an online friend I've known about ten years.

None of this was planned.  There's about Avogadro's number of hams here.  If you had asked me, I'd say ...
(A sign post at the booth of Quicksilver Radio.)


8 comments:

  1. My sister was visiting Europe and ran into a guy who owns the bar she normally patronized in San Diego. Neither knew the other was in Europe.

    My other sister ran into a friend in Finland in a restaurant. Both were traveling from the US, neither knew the other was there.

    It's a small world sometimes.

    nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avogadro's number!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The percentage of positive integers less than a trillion is effectively 0. I like to see people using large numbers.

      Delete
    2. I have a tiny bit of a tendency towards exaggeration now and then.

      Delete
    3. There are 6.022*10^23 stories in the naked galaxy. Yours is one of them.

      Delete
  3. Actually I thought the rain kept the crowd down a bit this year. And it definitely made the inside a better experience. 2 or 3 years ago it was so hot you could barely breath in the building and there was a distinct odor of burning resistor in the main arena from something that someone had plugged in.

    And I resisted the urge to buy a new antenna. Though I should have picked up the Baofeng handheld. Can you go wrong for 28 bucks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess you can't go too wrong. I've got friends with them, but have avoided the temptation myself.

      We avoided the rain. Worked around it. Still a pretty amazing place, but I don't have much urge to come back next year.

      Delete
  4. About a year and a half into my tour on Forrestal, I bumped into a guy I knew from high school. He had been on board for two years.
    Roberta spoke about her trip to the Hamvention, and talks in some detail about keys (bugs). http://twowheeledmadwoman.blogspot.com/2016/05/hello-hello-im-here-post-roadtrip.html

    ReplyDelete