Wednesday, September 2, 2026

I beg your pardon, but...

Not much of a post today. Been working on a problem with our refrigerator for about a full, eight hour day. 

We've been having a recurring problem with our refrigerator's freezer section dripping water which ends up on the floor below the freezer door. It has been happening intermittently and only small amounts we can see. I haven't kept a log, but it started out over a week ago, then has been a mix of sometime it's obviously bad while other days it can go all day without leaking. For most of the time, there has been a deposit of ice on the freezer's floor (inside), and I've tried to troubleshoot it to determine if it's the system auto-defrosting circuit, or just what's going on.

A complication popped up today and it stopped me for at least an hour. This refrigerator has a built-in icemaker and while it's a longer story than this, three years ago last month I moved its input hose from the input of a water filter we use on the kitchen sink, to that filter's output, so that our ice was made with filtered water, not "just" city water. Today, with everything off and cleaning behind the refrigerator, I heard a quiet little hissing sound. It turned out to be that hose was leaking - spraying a very fine mist of the filtered water out behind the refrigerator. I had to turn off the cold water under the sink to stop that spraying.

My fix was to disconnect the icemaker from that water filter, which means there is no connection to water for the icemaker at all. I had to go up to the corner hardware store to buy an adapter to not hook that hose back to the filtered water. The hose is just hanging there, not attached to anything. I think from now on we're just going to live without an icemaker. It's not like we use a lot of ice and neither one of us thinks it's an essential appliance. Since the water in the bottom of the freezer had to come from somewhere it was either the water going to the icemaker, or the refrigerator's defrosting system not working properly, and everything else in freezer looks normal, not too much frost. I think what comes next is I'm going to go buy some ice cube trays and we'll just fill 'em up in the kitchen sink and freeze them on a shelf in the freezer. Just like we used to do 60 years ago.

Anyway, that's why it's an odd day. Back to normal tomorrow.  



4 comments:

  1. same symptoms- turned out the drain tube was plugged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto here. Check the drain line from the drip area in the back of the freezer to the tray under the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the house (mobile home) on our property that my MIL lives in I routed the output of the sink RO filter through an inline valve to the icemaker in her fridge. Thing is I had to put the line in myself as there was no icemaker hook-up built into the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An ice maker is a guarantee for an eventual failure ranging from an inconvenient leak to a major leak leading to a kitchen renovation. Had a friend whose ice maker leaked over the weekend while they were away destroying the kitchen and main floor flooring. Adding to the cost was the spouse then wanting to renovate the kitchen. The occasional convenience of ice eventually lead to an $80K renovation. So pick your conveniences carefully.

    ReplyDelete