Friday, September 25, 2026

We interrupt this program for a news bulletin

The International Astronomical Union (IAU) has named an asteroid for singer/comedian Al - better known as 'Weird Al' - Yankovic, it was reported on Wednesday, Sept. 23. 

The asteroid is formally known as (14331) Alyankovic, or 1981 EC26. 1981 refers to the year of the asteroid's discovery, and Yankovic's name for it was approved by the International Astronomical Union (IAU), the official body that arbitrates the monikers of things in the universe. 

The article goes on to interview the scientist from the University of Arizona Lunar and Planetary Lab (U of A LPL) Allison McGraw who presented the award to 'Weird Al' right before his Sunday evening show in Tucson. 

University of Arizona's Dr. Allison McGraw.  Image credit: Saddlebag Notes (a newspaper part of or affiliated with the Tucson Star that won't allow me to look at the picture)

Planetary scientist Allison McGraw, an alumna of the University of Arizona who is now with the Lunar and Planetary Science Institute, backed the nomination with several other planetary science researchers, according to the Tucson Star. On Sunday (Sept. 20), McGraw presented Yankovic backstage with a plaque commemorating the naming of the asteroid, ahead of Yankovic's performance at the Tucson Arena.

"I've been working on not being starstruck, the same way I am every time I meet astronauts," McGraw said in the Tucson Star's report, ahead of the meeting. "I'm gonna do my best not to be starstruck, or I guess 'rock struck', but I have the feeling that he's going to be really cool."

If you're not aware that this sort of naming happens regularly, it's a specialized field with its own odd traditions. You can be excused for not having come across one that interests you. There are several other musically-themed celebrity names on asteroids, such as 17059 Elvis, 17473 Freddiemercury, (52665) Brianmay, 249516 Aretha (Aretha Franklin - who else?), 10731 Dollyparton, and all four members of the Beatles (both individually, and as a group for 8749 Beatles.) Of those Brian May, Ph.D. is the only one I've written about before.



3 comments:

  1. My son and I have seen Weird Al perform live several times. Always a fun time, and worth the effort. It's great seeing such a broad swath of society appreciating satire and novelty songs. And now, a heavenly body bearing his name. There's a future song in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SLW and I saw Al at the local junior college a few years ago. Only time I'm aware of when he was closer than the ~75 mile drive to see him in Orlando. The college here is practically a neighbor - at about a mile and a half away. As you say, a fun time and worth going to.

      Delete