Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Anyone Know the Source?

JPFO posted this back on New Years Day. I've been trying to find sources and not having much luck.
I know the numbers look like values I've seen before, but that doesn't mean they're right.  I mean, 195,000 deaths from medical errors?  How is that even defined? I'm suspicious of 529,000 deaths due to tobacco use: the biggest numbers I've heard are closer to 450,000, and I was suspicious of that

Anybody know about this?  Dates?  Better source description than just "CDC, FBI, US Federal Government"? 

 "In God we trust;  all others provide references". 



6 comments:

Angus McThag said...

Aren't tobacco deaths always along the lines of, "heart attack, also a smoker."

drjim said...

Why not just email the JPFO and ask?

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly, this graph was more designed to keep kids from smoking, because I swear I saw this in my health class back in high school, or something close to it with disproprotionate number of tobacco deaths compared to everything else.

Graybeard said...

I did. They didn't have a good answer.

Anonymous said...

What Bubba Knows had this up today, which has sourced numbers:
Today’s Gun-Control Fact
http://whatbubbaknows.info/?p=8464

It refers to this
http://gunowners.org/fs0404.htm

Sorry not the same numbers, but that's all I've found that seems useful so far.

Jim

Graybeard said...

Thanks for the effort - the GOA stats are useful for sure. I saved that page off to my drive to go over it.