But back to the issue at hand, the evidence is mounting that the higher ups of the White House, the Pentagon, CIA, Director of Intelligence Clapper and other officials not only knew that Ambassador Stevens and his crew were going to be attacked with more than enough warning to rescue them, they watched the attack in real time, on live video relayed by satellites from drones orbiting the Libyan consulate and "safe house". The timeline is giving us information that leads to inescapable conclusions.
Former career CIA officer and Senior Fellow at the Center for Security Policy, Clare Lopez, was on The Blaze TV's Glenn Beck show and had some stunning things to say. The interview has been taken off their pay site, and made public, in two parts. The short version of her story is this. Stevens was left to die. Someone, or some ones, in the White House or the CIA or the Pentagon gave the order not to save them. It is preposterous to believe that anything else is possible. They deployed a drone, they watched the drone's videos, and allegedly a spy satellite. The first part of two interviews with Lopez is here. You should watch that as well as this.
In summary, we know a few important things.
- I'm not going to outline the several other documented attacks in Benghazi that should have raised a flag about our team's safety. Those have been widely talked about. Stevens should not have even been in Benghazi at all.
- The "IT Guy" in the embassy staff (and fellow radio ham), Sean Smith, frequented an online gaming site. It's reasonable that this was a "channel" monitored by intelligence agencies to keep in touch with him. He posted a message saying, "Assuming we don’t die tonight. We saw one of our ‘police’ that guard the compound taking pictures." This was 12:54 in the afternoon US East Coast time, 6:54 PM in Libya.
- The US has a base less than an hour's flight away in Sicily. A QRF - Quick Reaction Force - was said to be there. (QRF means I don't have to add "ready to deploy at a moment's notice").
- The attacks began about 50 minutes after a Turkish representative left a meeting with Stevens, or 9:40 PM. That's mid-afternoon in the US when the attack started, and three hours later than Smith's posting. The QRF could have easily been there. (Excellent Timeline Here)
- It appears Smith was dead and Stevens missing by about 11PM, 5PM EDT.
- This was watched in real time. The president, concerned about a coming media event, went to bed.
If you're working for the government, you just better hope you don't get into a position like Stevens or the other guys. You become completely expendable.
EDIT 2208 EDT: The Washington Times adds a well-researched piece on the gun running evidence.