Thursday, March 31, 2016

It Depends on How You Look at It

Or sniff at it.
Glenn McCoy, from Facebook.

The way I see it is that if the Big Government wasn't so big, it wouldn't matter what the big business was chasing.  The way Bernie Sanders sees it is that if the big business wasn't so big, big government would be a wonderful, kind servant.  Instead of a fearful master.

My justification is that no company has ever sent a SWAT team to raid anyone's house because they didn't buy something.  As much as Microsoft or Apple or any big business wants my money, they have to get it by persuasion and if I'm not persuaded, they're SOL.  In contrast, Uncle Sugar, or my state, my county, my city, or even some new taxing authority I didn't even know I was assigned to, could present me with a new tax bill, and as the story at the link describes, if I say 'no' there's a good chance someone in this house dies.

But the moment the government got so big that it was more profitable to go lobby congress than it was to spend that money to make their product better, this cartoon became inevitable.   When senators are cheaper than R&D and provide better ROI, senators will be what's being bought.

At least that's how I look at it.


2 comments:

  1. "When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."
    -P. J. O'Rourke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee, I didn't realize how badly I copied O'Rourke. I should read more!

      Delete