Wednesday, November 2, 2016

So Springfield Armory Has an AR-15 Now...

Does that make everyone except Glock and Taurus? 

I think anyone who follows gun blogs and news has seen the hype over the "SAINT" that started a month or 6 weeks ago, complete with vague statements ("defend your legacy") and a mandatorily diverse group of hot and sweaty models.  I guess I haven't talked about it much since the CNC project started taking over my life, but I'm a bit of a Springfield Armory fanboy.  I have three SA handguns, an original XDm, a subcompact XD and a compact XDm.  I love them all.  With any one of them, I feel like I can pick it up and hit the target, even with months off.  Given my background, then, you might figure I was interested in seeing what the hype was about. 

Meh.  I mean, it looks like a nice enough AR-15, but it's an AR-15 in a world where they're pretty much potato chips.  A commodity product.  Mrs. Graybeard and I each have our own AR and I have the 80% receivers to build more.   
To be honest, I was expecting a handgun, perhaps a successor to the XDs, which seems to be an extremely successful product.  Maybe a version of the only handgun currently on my wish list with a stainless slide, like they do for so many others in that product line.  Or maybe something that goes head to head with Ruger Precision Rifle, which I still must confess some irrational lust for.  Or maybe their M1A line in something other than .308 (not that there's anything wrong with that). 

Instead, we get another AR-15 in 5.56 NATO.  I'm whelmed. 


6 comments:

  1. Pull the trigger on that Ruger. You'll be pleased... But get it in 6.5 Creedmoor, it's the better cartridge (i'm still kicking myself for choosing the .308, but it's what I know...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

      I just have zero 6.5 Creedmore stuff around.

      Delete
  2. Shouldn't that have been "underwhelmed"?
    I would love a Ruger Precision in .308, because I don't have the energy to get involved in another caliber and all it entails. Fourteen calibers is enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I'm not overwhelmed, but not disappointed enough to be underwhelmed. So the equivalent of "meh" is just whelmed. I should trademark that, except that nobody uses the expression and I doubt anyone would would want to.

      Getting back to the RPR, I just counted up and I have 14 calibers as well, if you include shotgun gauges. I wouldn't have thought we had that many. I already have a couple of .308 rifles. 6.5 Creedmoor interests me, from what I know of the cartridge, and I have nothing in that caliber.

      Delete
  3. I don't care if they are 1 dollar in a big drum at Wal-Mart. I still don't want one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Browning and Savage still don't make an AR... for now.

    ReplyDelete