Thursday, March 29, 2018

So I Had A Little Run-in With eBay...

It was a while ago, but I think I'll tell the story now because it goes with the current pogrom going on with YouTube and the other so-called progressive tech sites.

It starts out with my DPMS LR-308B, an AR-10 clone/knockoff, which I've had since early 2010.  I know I've posted about some of my experiences on occasion over the years.  I was never really happy with the ergonomics of the rifle; it came with a standard A2-style fixed stock and it was never quite right.  Here's the DPMS website's photo.

Before I ran across the sale on The Precious, I was considering taking the LR-308 out as my long-range, precision rifle, so I spent some more time with it about a year ago.  The ergonomics of the stock became apparent and I decided to do something about that.  Then my focus shifted to the Ruger and fixing this issue went to the back of my mind.

Last November, with good sales on AR parts (and complete rifles) going on at a blistering pace, I found a sale on a Magpul MOE adjustable stock and with some help from them, figured out all the parts I needed to get to swap out stocks.  A video from DPMS helped.


My cluttered workbench with the new stock in place.

After a few weeks of occasionally thinking, "what do I do with this old stock?", I decided to check eBay.  There were a bunch of A2 stocks on there, as there are tonight, so I assumed it was OK to put it up there for auction; I put up the listing on January 21st.  The next morning, I had an email from eBay with the ominous wording:

Your eBay listing has been removed: Assault Weapons Parts and Accessories

The email went on:
Some of your listings haven’t followed our Assault Weapons Parts and Accessories policy. In this email, we're including some policy information to help you with your future listings. We also had to take the following actions:
- Listings that didn't follow eBay guidelines have been removed. A list of removed item(s) is available further down in this email.
- We have credited all associated fees except for the final value fee for your listing(s).

Due to numerous laws and regulations regarding the sale of assault weapons (including parts and accessories for assault weapons), these items aren't allowed on eBay.

You may list accessories that would fit a variety of different weapons, such as scopes and sites. However, if you sell these items, you can't mention assault weapons in your listing. 
There was a convoluted process for appeal, and I tried, but those people are put there to keep you from getting what you want.  When I complained that there were several of those stocks on their site right at that minute, the 'droid gave me an ominous, "we'll get them, too".  I let it drop. 

Although I'm not sure and the text of the listing is long since deleted, I think my faux pas was to say I took it off my LR-308, and the last paragraph specifically says "you can't mention assault weapons in your listing."  I took a look at one such listing for an A2 stock tonight, and that page says:
Fits a wide variety of non assault makes & models.  When in doubt please use "ask a question" button to find out if this will fit your gun.
If I had been a bit more of a weasel, I bet they wouldn't have kicked the listing off the site.  I've been telling myself that I should open a gun broker account, though.  This is a bit of an incentive.

The lesson here for surviving YouTube in the future might be to never honestly say what the videos are about in the title and maybe not even the description.  Maybe refer to an AR-15 as an Armalite-inspired small diameter and an AR-10 as a large diameter?  That hurts the ability to search for them, so maybe not.   



13 comments:

  1. If you used the term AR 15 or AR 10 anywhere, it may have helped with the removal. Somehow the use of AR alone does not get messed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I didn't use the term AR, but I probably said it was from an LR-308B.

      Maybe they search for specific models?

      Delete
  2. I recently purchased a Heathkit AR-15 Stereo Receiver. A day after the transaction completed, the seller and I both got a notice saying the listing had been terminated, blah, blah, blah. I got the item just fine, but he pursued it because he specializes in those receivers, and the later AR-1500, and dozens of his listings had been removed because of the evil trigger symbols "AR-15".

    I'm not sure how he worked it out with eBay, but eBay's automated purge software definitely didn't work very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny - but only since you had completed the transaction and they didn't f*** up both of your lives.

      (The weird things is I kinda remembered that receiver. Never had one. Just saw it in the catalogs way back when.)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the transaction went through smoothly.=, but gave both of us a start at first.

      It's a pretty good receiver. Puts out a "real" 50 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms, which should be more than enough the blow out what's left of my hearing.

      This one will be in the Radio Room, while the Onkyo receiver I have there now will get moved to the garage.

      Just GOTTA have tunes when I'm working on stuff.

      Delete
  3. The big corporations who are anti gun have discovered an end run around the constitution. I have been warning about this for years: the powers that be have found a way to subjugate the people without having to pass laws.

    Obama said it himself: fundamental transformation. They are inventing new rights, like the right of a 40 year old man to use the same bathroom as 15 year old girls, while eliminating other rights. We are seeing the end of the USA as a Constitutional Republic. What comes next is the scary part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big corporations who are anti gun have discovered an end run around the constitution.
      The big one here is getting the banks to deny credit to gun stores and buyers. Citicorp is obvious, but what if another major credit card issuer says they won't give credit to gun stores anymore? Does that shut down gun sales? Bank of America issues the Bass Pro credit card, and when they say they won't finance gun sales to anyone under 21, they're making Bass Pro's policy for them, to some degree. Visa was very smart in saying their place is not to determine national firearms law.

      I continue to think one of the biggest threats to rights in our country is the continuing trend of more and more laws and more and more felonies. Remember "Three Felonies A Day"? When you can't go a day without committing a felony and the only thing keeping you from being out of jail is not attracting the attention of a prosecutor, then everyone has a felony record and everyone becomes a prohibited person.

      Delete
    2. When you can't go a day without committing a felony and the only thing keeping you from being out of jail is not attracting the attention of a prosecutor, then everyone has a felony record and everyone becomes a prohibited person.

      Do you notice you aren't hearing about prosecutions for unregistered guns in Connecticut? Guns not being mentioned for leverage in divorces? Unregistered guns not being discovered in domestic disputes, traffic stops, and after barfights? If police were to try to put normal blue-collar construction workers stopped for speeding tickets in prison for a decade, the victim would go berserker and then the mob would burn down the police stations. Instead, everybody is pretending the violations don't exist. I hear there was a constitutional amendment that made all the bars close, too.

      The big one here is getting the banks to deny credit to gun stores and buyers. Citicorp is obvious, but what if another major credit card issuer says they won't give credit to gun stores anymore? Does that shut down gun sales?

      Since that gun trade is upstanding and presently legal, it doesn't scare away reputable vendors and stable, rich customers. Everybody is free to complain loudly and at length about the problems. Soon everybody will realize they are free to borrow money and use credit cards domiciled in another country. Perhaps one of the tax haven countries with better privacy laws. Wouldn't that be terrible?

      Delete
  4. I simply refuse to use EGay or PayPal.....or any other company that blatantly opposes the Second Amendment. There are other venues to buy/sell such items on. As long as we keep giving money to companies that oppose our rights they will continue to oppose our rights. Voting with your wallet works but we all must do so and do so consistently and vocally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed that your castle nut is not dimpled into the stock extension to prevent loosening. When I discussed purchasing a collapsible stock I was told that was necessary. Was I misinformed that this was a necessity? Some help here please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was I misinformed that this was a necessity?

      I know of nothing that gets the kind of attention castle nuts seem to get. I used the advise from DPMS in their video I linked to. I used DPMS parts and some AR-Stoner parts from Midway. If you go to around the 2:45 second mark to 3:15 they say nothing about dimpling anything. They say the final adjustment is done "1/4 turn, approximately, to ensure the castle nut is snug against the latch plate".

      My only disclaimer is that I'm not an operator rappelling out of helicopters to do operations in the sandbox, so I'm not a serious tactical dude. I've been known to tell jokes at the range. My guns live a pretty easy life; all they have to do is shoot. I've done this a few times on different platforms (two AR-15, this AR-10) and never had one loosen.

      I would say to do whatever level of work you're comfortable with.

      Delete
    2. Staking the castle nut is indicated if the rifle is going to be seeing much in the way of serious use in classes or 3 Gun matches, because it will loosen with large volumes of shooting and getting banged around hanging on a sling or getting thrown in dump barrels.

      Delete
    3. (Incidentally, I have never been penalized for telling a joke in a class or a match. True fact! ;) )

      Delete