Wednesday, February 1, 2017

A Preview

I had a heck of a time getting to this point:



The X-axis would bind and wouldn't move, even when I tried by hand with a hand wheel on the motor.  Those are 570 in-oz motors, which is quite powerful for this size NEMA23, but even that wouldn't budge it.  I spent most of yesterday trying to resolve this.

This morning, I took it apart for the Nth time and rebuilt it step by step until it stopped moving easily.  It was one of two jam nuts on the right end of the ballscrew digging into the motor mount I made several months ago.  I had to cut it back a little (about .015 or .020 - don't recall).  Then it worked fine.

I need to take it out my machinist's pay.


8 comments:

  1. Oh wow.

    That is so, so, sweet.

    Nice job, you are going to love that, I do just watching it.
    I would imagine that there is also a DRO involved here or will be soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. The computer replaces DROs and puts the position indicators on screen. It also replaces the handwheels with either a code file or "Goto" commands.

      Delete
  2. Holy cow.

    You are light years ahead of me.
    That is beyond cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started in about '04 or '05, so I've been playing with it for a while.

      Feel free to ask anything. Email if you prefer.

      Delete
  3. A long sometimes bumpy road to get to this point.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you SiG.. looks like you're getting there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Job!
    Ain't nothing worthwhile ever easy. I just bought a TIG welder..steep learning curve there too!

    ReplyDelete