Once I saw this picture in the camera, I saw a face in the flywheel and now I can't unsee it.
Now I call the flywheel Mr. Bill. Mr. Bill's nose (the flywheel's, not the puppet's) is drilled through for the 5/16" crankshaft and the end is reamed to 0.500" diameter by 3/16 deep. This was my first puzzlement of the last week or so. I ordered the gears specified in the prints and thought I just used them as provided. Wrong. The gear is very different in size from the drawing I have.
The answer was that I needed to machine the gear's hub to meet the dimensions on this print. Note the upper right says this is a "light press fit into flywheel". I accomplished that today. I drilled and tapped the hub for a #6-32 setscrew, used that to fasten the gear to a little scrap of shaft, and used that shaft to hold the gear in the lathe's chuck so I could reduce it to size. It's now done.
I think the inner web of the flywheel will get painted like I saw on another guy's model. Flat black wrinkle paint. I'm set up to do powder coating, so I found a paint I could use.
I also made a brain dead simple part - the crankshaft itself. This just needed to be cut to length, so a quick cut on the bandsaw followed by facing and cleaning up the ends on the lathe. It will get hard soldered (brazed) into a piece that I have yet to make - or yet to decide on how it should look. The drawing looks like this and I'm focusing on the rectangular tab seen in all three views here:
A couple of builds I've been seen change that little rectangular 1-1/4 x 1/2 tab turns into a rather intricate piece designed to better balance while the engine is running. One divides that tab at the center of the big hole, and replaces the bottom with a semicircle about 1" radius. The other replaces the tab entirely, with a sector of a triangular wedge, heavier below the center of the big hole, and tapering to about that half inch dimension of the rectangular piece.